
The 8 letter word Facebook is a word that no one would recognize ten years ago but today, to our generation in particular, it is used daily. In our classes alone, this website has been scrutinized to the fullest. Some of us probably don't even want to hear about it anymore. We saw a movie, read articles, had in depth discussions, et cetera et cetera. But if any of us are still remotely interested, our very favorite main man (and Ardsley schools attendee) Mark Zuckerberg will appear on 60 Minutes this upcoming Sunday at 7 pm. From what I saw from this short article on it, Zuckerberg will be discussing his success, the latest movie about him (The Social Network), and what is yet to come. As portrayed in the movie by Jesse Eisenberg, Zuckerberg seemed to be a socially awkward and cynical prick. When in a board room being sued, he was nonchalant and blatantly uncaring as well as, some could argue, rude and supercilious. I was still incredibly fascinated by him nevertheless. In the little picture from the interview, he's smiling and looking incredibly pleased with all he has accomplished. Is he going to be the same person we saw Eisenberg portray or is he going to be all happy-go-lucky like the picture? We'll have to tune in to find out. Now that I'm thinking about this upcoming 60 minutes I'm beginning to get curious about what the interviewer, Lesley Stahl, is going to ask. Is she going to ask him about how accurate The Social Network is? Is she going to ask him his opinion on whether he believes that Facebook is somehow harming people's social skills? From the YouTube video we viewed in class with the British guy as well as the article about the pubs, we have pretty much all come to a consensus that Facebook is not just helping us connect but also helping us disconnect on the personal level.
Along with the short synopsis, there is a 47-second preview. This preview shows the real life wall found in Facebook's Palo Alto headquarters. On it, both staff and guests have written whatever they so choose. The posts range from math equations, just scribbles, google-bashing, to a quote from Thoreau. I found that pretty fascinating...a very cool part about the studio they chose not to include in The Social Network. It makes me wonder what people would write on this wall. It's unlike facebook users' friends (facebook) walls where only the friends' mutual friends can view. With this wall, the entire world has viewing opportunities. Do people sign their name? Write I love you notes to Mark? It would definitely be an interesting site to see. Maybe we could make an Ardsley AP English wall.
As a person who wrote her expository modes piece on the downsides of Facebook, I find anything new about Facebook to be incredibly thought-provoking. I am definitely going to tune in to see the 60 Minutes interview and hopefully catch of glimpse of the real Mark Zuckerberg.
No comments:
Post a Comment