Monday, December 13, 2010

Write The Future

Yes, I know the World Cup is a global event, and the title of the blog is American Zeitgeist, but as our society becomes increasingly globalized, and soccer--and the World Cup in particular (witness the math class we devoted last year to the opening Mexico-South Africa match)--takes hold in the United States, it may behoove us as AP students to examine soccer and its significance to the rest of the world. Simply put, the video follows the exploits of six star footballers, and the weight of expectations placed upon them. Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast) has an entire continent depending on him, as Africa has never had a team win the Cup before, Wayne Rooney (England) has the savage English press to worry about, Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) has potential fame and superstardom lying ahead if he succeeds. The ad closes with a simple phrase encouraging people to "Write The Future", as if any one person could accomplish that momentous task. This phrase, "Write The Future", however is powerfully symbolic and semiotic. It plays on innate human desires to be masters of our own destiny, able to clearly chart a course in life; it also plays on an innate lust for glory. For a soccer fan growing up outside of the United States, this is their two outs, bases loaded, down three in the bottom ninth of Game 7 of the World Series. The actual players are merely, well, players, actors upon the grandest of stages, performing a drama of human desire.

Additional Question For Thought (mostly because I didn't have room):

Where does Nike fit into all of this? Certainly one of the most profit-driven (read: evil) companies in the world cannot be spending untold millions on a fancy video out of the goodness of their heart?

14 comments:

  1. I love your choice of video. It was really exciting to watch and followed an interesting premise. Yet the whole time I was watching it, I kept thinking of product placement, especially when the camera focused on the Nike banner surrounding the field and the close up on Ronaldo's sneakers. The video seemed more like a mini-film than a commercial, but that did not take the intention away - much like the dramatic 1984 Apple commercial.

    I also connected the video to the influence of technology that we have spoken about. It seems as if everyone in the world is glued to their television or radio in order to tune in to soccer. It is amazing how one game can engage so many people who are so different from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nike is clearly exploiting our innate desire for a sense of community. This commercial shows scenes of people all over the world uniting all because of their love for soccer. Nike is trying to imply that this phenomena is due to their sporting goods. Obviously no one will believe this kind of message but it the fact that all these famous people are wearing this product and that it is showcased at such a popular event does build its credibility. Therefore, the commercial makes it more probable for people to buy nike over a different obscure brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video is overstuffed with messages. The constant media coverage of the event uniting people worldwide, the effect it has on the consumer...I mean viewer. I found it intriguing that people were actually copying the footsteps (dance) of the soccer player. Celebrities have such an influence on what is current in our culture it baffles me. The video also comments on society's constant strive for success, and how if one of the players (I don't know who exactly as I don't follow soccer) doesn't win he is doomed to a life of poverty in a trailer. Isn't this a bit pessimistic? How does this all fit back to Nike? I feel that Nike is playing on the vibe of the video, the commotion, adrenalin, excitement, this sensation is intended to subconsciously connect with Nike in our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, the glory and shame imagined by the featured players in this commercial did not completely stay in their imagination. Harsh criticisms of each of the players are abundant on the video's youtube page. Since Nike seems to take responsibility for the entire event, it must also account for the disappointment from the fans when none of their heros, shown here, progressed to the world cup final. The message that Nike was trying to send us through this commercial has backfired. It shows that our greatest expectations have the potential to fail us. The hype that this commercial creates is abated by reality. A certain brand of shoe cannot simply rocket us to success. The aura that surrounds Nike is as translucent as the aura that surrounds the players. This commercial has shown Nike, not so much in its negative light, as in its true light (that it's just another regular brand). No wonder I've hardly ever seen this commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha the player is Wayne Rooney of England, and it's parodying the viciousness of the English soccer press and how quickly they turn on someone they previously adored. It could also be a veiled jab at MLS, the American soccer league, since the last player for this to happen to, David Beckham, played in the MLS for a while after falling from grace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NIke manages to capture our attention again by going back to this mystical "fate" theme with sports stars. I think this commercial targets the idea of the American dream very well in that impossible is nothing, another one of Nike's renown slogans. Nike keeps on producing this image in our heads that we can achieve anything, and through the use of notable athletes, we begin to believe them. Children around the world look up to their sports heros, and using them in such a world wide campaign is perfect marketing strategy. I remember when I say a Nike fate commercial with Troy Polamalu and LT and how they were destined to play in the NFL. I wanted to be like that as well, and indirectly I would think to myself Nike could help me get there. In a way Nike preaches the idea that by purchasing their products, you can achieve anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your choice of video especially because when I saw this when it first came out (although on YouTube), I didn't think all that deeply about it. I was just amazed by the quality of it and how much time they must have spent on it. I see now that to "write the future" is related to semiotics. We're so caught up in preserving the aura, be it our own or of the World Cup. Also, like Jen said, Nike is out to protect its own aura. Their trying to keep their name up in lights among the best of the best. With guest appearances by Roger Federer and Kobe Bryant--two of the most well-known athletes who also happen to be considered the best in their respective sports of all-time (arguably, of course)--Nike is continuing the belief that they, too, are the best. What irks me about Nike is their exploitation of every current event in the personal and/or professional lives of athletes. Amidst the Tiger Woods scandal, the Earl/Tiger commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NTRvlrP2NU) took guts, but Nike has nothing to lose over it because of their already established prominence. The Lebron Rise commercial also caused controversy and even sparked Cleveland's own version which only helps Nike's cause.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually saw this on the Nike website a while ago when I was browsing for some gift ideas and I'm so glad that you posted this.
    It was very clever of Nike campaign this commercial --a sport that brings together almost all nations--to help boost it's sales. I guess the underlying slogan is," if you have Nike, you can make the future great."
    I was most intrigued by the way the direction of the ball contributes to the country's mood swings while watching. As one country's anticipation gradually creeps up as the ball makes its way to the goal, cities come alive while the other becomes devastated. One country rises, comes alive and communally explodes with jubilation and the other falls communally drastically.
    My favorite part is the shot of the line of babies in the hospital all being named "Walden" after the soccer player. So funny.
    I bet you there are thousands of people who bought new cleats from Nike just because this commercial made it sound like Nike can help you write a better future and I think there's something unique about the unknown. When a supposition is in place, it creates an "inner stimulus" without using "fear or force" (Stanislavski) which makes a persons reaction genuine. Meaning, just the idea of what the future could be like stirs so many hopeful and real desires so I truly believe Nike utilizes the magic "if", soccer and celebrities to maximize it's sales.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nike has a great way of capturing and appealing to their audience. Everything is incorporated in this video, especially the fact that everyone around the world is watching - portraying soccer as something larger than life. Being a part of this experience with soccer will lead the audience to feel like they are apart of something big. This feeling of inspiration is what Nike associates itself with to appeal to the audience. It is as if Nike is encouraging everyone to go along with the bandwagon and join them on the inpirational journey of the World Cup. Nike also associates themselves with the success of the international soccer players. Basically if you go with Nike, you can write your own future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first saw this commercial I thought nothing of it, but now I can see it for what it is: a ruthless marketing tool. I feel as if athletes especially are the most succesful tool in advertising, they are good looking, good at what they do, and richer than most people can dream of being. I'd like to compare these commercials to the recent Nike Lebron James ads. In the new slew of ads bombarding the tv, Lebron is completely villainized by himself. Claiming he has completely transitioned into a new athlete, one that is a force to be reckoned with. Of course what inspired him to take his talents to south beach and spurn the entire sports world? New Nikes of course. These types of ads like to make us think we can overhaul ourselves with their product, but really we are just conforming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While everyone can agree that this clip is a sick (and yet clever) advertising tool consumed by us, the consumers, we must also look at the aspects of competition and stardom. The video stresses the concept that in life, everything is a competition. Like what Dr. Haubner said at the assembly concerning the GPA and such, he asked us if we really did think going to college, or the process of applying to college is a competition. And to be frank, it is whether we like it or not. It is only part of human nature to incessantly compare each other and compete for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Referring to the players as actors on the worlds biggest stages is interesting, however the logic behind that seems to apply almost to all of humanity, the idea that we are all just players on the worlds biggest stage seems most like the truman show, which to us seemed barbaric and unrealistic; however, with increased media, and the ability to tweet about wherever you are and whatever you're doing it seems clear that we are indeed all a global society where it is possible for anyone to become famous simply from their cyber-persona (look at many youtube stars, or Tila Tequila who emerged from myspace). The question is, does this global society mean that we are in decline as individuality becomes less important, or does it mean that we are backed up by the rest of the world as we go out and try to handle the many problems that emerge in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This commercial brings up a number of good points, but one in particular. People worship fame, whether they be soccer players, actors, or simply-well, whatever Paris Hilton is. In this video, the famous soccer players appear literally everywhere: on billboards, on television, and even in the hospital where children are being named after them. I remember when North Korea was disqulaified, a number of the players left the country for fear of their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd like to try and answer your question "where does nike fit into this?" And the answer is quite simple, they are using this to sell shoes and other nike merchandise. While there is very little discussion of nike products in this ad, the ad does a good job at selling an "image" or attitude. The ad makes it clear that these superstar athletes, who are out there "writing the future", are all wearing nike merchandise, and if you'd like to be famous and talented and important like them, you'd best be wearing nike merchandise as well. After all, we all know Wayne Rooney's success is based entirely on his Nike cleats, not talent or practice, right?

    ReplyDelete