In 1984 by George Orwell, there is a recurring theme of people accepting what authority figures say and not questioning it. In this experiment, people are asked to shock other volunteers if they answer a question wrong. As you can see, many of the volunteers who do the shocking don't stop for a long time, mainly because every time they ask to stop, the "scientist" in the room tells them that the experiment requires them to continue, and the volunteers listen to the scientist almost always without question. In 1984, we see how dangerous it can be if you always trust authority and never think for yourself...but as illustrated in this video, our world may not be as different from Orwell's fictional world as we think.
I don't know why, but I can't see the video...can anyone else see it? I hope it worked...
ReplyDeleteI can't see it either =/
ReplyDeleteWhy don't you put a link to it up?
I can't see the video but I know the experiment you are referencing. It actually reminded me of a song called "Underwear goes inside the pants" in which the artist states how easily controlled we are by not only authority figures but just anything in general that is thrown at us. The actual stanza in the song is as follows:
ReplyDelete"You know we have more prescription drugs now.
Every commercial that comes on TV is a prescription drug ad.
I can't watch TV for four minutes without thinking I have five serious diseases.
Like: "Do you ever wake up tired in the morning?"
Oh my god I have this, write this down. Whatever it is, I have it.
Half the time I don't even know what the commercial is:
people running in fields or flying kites or swimming in the ocean.
I'm like that is the greatest disease ever. How do you get that?
That disease comes with a hot chick and a puppy."
People blindly accept what someone tells them without even stopping to think maybe I don't have a disease - maybe I just have a cold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcvSNg0HZwk
ReplyDeleteI'm glad Laura knows what the experiment is, but for anyone who doesn't, here's the link to the video...sorry that it didn't work
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis is my first time seeing the video, and although I find it disturbing and shocking, it is also not that surprising that people would comply with the orders given by the scientists.
ReplyDeleteWhy do we have this obedience to authority, even when the most absurd demands are made? Just like Big Brother had many signs and symbols to represent its omnipotence, there are many figures in the real world that have an authoritative aura. From the "md" on a license plate, to the white lab coat and the use of proper, eloquent language, a doctor or scientist achieves that authoritative aura. By making someone feel subservient to their command, it's amazing how easily we have the control over other people, much like that in 1984.
While the actual results of the experiment are understandably shocking (no pun intended), I think the more revealing thing is that this experiment could not be repeated today. First off, the liability waivers would give away the whole experiment. Secondly, the lawsuits brought for "emotional distress" and punitive damages would swamp even the most well-heeled research institution. So what does this say about our society? Small comparisons to 1984 are legitimate, but in this case it's the sue-happy, overly litigious populace that is stifling creativity, not the government. I'm loath to completely denigrate Americans (for this phenomenon is most prevalent here), but a little bit of discomfort isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world.
ReplyDeleteThis experiment is simply further evidence of how dangerous it can be for people to get caught up in the mainstream. Just think about genocides across the world. It's not like sick people from all over the world met up in Darfur or anywhere else to carry out a genocide. Almost always, those are your everyday average people who are somehow transformed into monsters. It is scary to think that regular people can be twisted that way.
ReplyDelete