Although blatantly satirical, this news report from "The Onion" discusses an invasive advertising technique that could potentially appear in our society. The "Ad-Whisper Technique" cleverly manipulates consumers by cutting down calling costs (which in turn encourages greater cell phone use), all the while spewing garbage into listeners' ears. Advertisers have clearly outdone themselves on this one, for they have successfully targeted all of the consumer's weaknesses. The technique appeals to our warped sense of "friendship" by whispering to us in a friendly voice; thus, we do not recognize the voice as intrusive or disturbing, but as a pleasant reminder (hypnopaedia, anyone?). It also indulges our consumerism by indicating the many companies in which we can feverishly spend our money (for example, the long chain of Dunkin' Donuts on the way to the airport). It is disgusting to see how violating advertisements can be, even going so far as to interrupt our personal and private conversations. Advertisements become even bigger distractions in this technique since they are so clearly competing with the person on the other line (as demonstrated by the disastrous 911 call). So, which voice will you choose to listen to: your friend's or the ad's?
http://www.wikihow.com/Wear-Ugg-Boots They have wiki how on how to solve a math equation or how to get stains out of your favorite jeans, but being a part of the America we are today, by searching ugg boots I found a wiki how on how to wear them. “You’ve seen celebrities, fashion icons, models, neighbors, classmates, and work colleagues wearing them. Everyone is doing it!” Now I just feel insecure because I’m not wearing uggs right now. The article proceeds to explain to me what uggs will make my body look the best and which ones are appropriate for what season and now buying these boots just seems like far too much work. All of this important information is laid out for me in steps so I can make sure I don’t stand out when I pick my uggs, making sure “not to pick any neon colors,” which is listed under the warning section of the article. Thank you for the warning WikiHow!
http://www.theonion.com/video/new-google-phone-service-whispers-targeted-ads-dir,17470/
ReplyDeleteAlthough blatantly satirical, this news report from "The Onion" discusses an invasive advertising technique that could potentially appear in our society. The "Ad-Whisper Technique" cleverly manipulates consumers by cutting down calling costs (which in turn encourages greater cell phone use), all the while spewing garbage into listeners' ears. Advertisers have clearly outdone themselves on this one, for they have successfully targeted all of the consumer's weaknesses. The technique appeals to our warped sense of "friendship" by whispering to us in a friendly voice; thus, we do not recognize the voice as intrusive or disturbing, but as a pleasant reminder (hypnopaedia, anyone?). It also indulges our consumerism by indicating the many companies in which we can feverishly spend our money (for example, the long chain of Dunkin' Donuts on the way to the airport). It is disgusting to see how violating advertisements can be, even going so far as to interrupt our personal and private conversations. Advertisements become even bigger distractions in this technique since they are so clearly competing with the person on the other line (as demonstrated by the disastrous 911 call). So, which voice will you choose to listen to: your friend's or the ad's?
http://www.wikihow.com/Wear-Ugg-Boots
ReplyDeleteThey have wiki how on how to solve a math equation or how to get stains out of your favorite jeans, but being a part of the America we are today, by searching ugg boots I found a wiki how on how to wear them. “You’ve seen celebrities, fashion icons, models, neighbors, classmates, and work colleagues wearing them. Everyone is doing it!” Now I just feel insecure because I’m not wearing uggs right now. The article proceeds to explain to me what uggs will make my body look the best and which ones are appropriate for what season and now buying these boots just seems like far too much work. All of this important information is laid out for me in steps so I can make sure I don’t stand out when I pick my uggs, making sure “not to pick any neon colors,” which is listed under the warning section of the article. Thank you for the warning WikiHow!